Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 10 – Off to York

A crisp bright sunny day greats me on my last morning in Ely, it gives me a great opportunity to take a last walk around the town and past the Cathedral, taking some last happy snaps as I go.  Today I set out on my big push to “The North” with about 300km to drive to get me to my destination of York for 2 nights. So it is off up the A14 to the A1 for a blast up the motorway. About and hour into my journey it is time for a detour and to get a spot of lunch in the food bowl of the midlands, yes that right Melton Mowbray is calling. So off the motorway and a drive on the B roads, through the rolling hills of Leicester. Melton Mowbray turns out to be a lovely village with a grand church and several taverns, which because it is Sunday, all have roast lunches on, fortunately I manager to find one that has a lovely spinach and ricotta cannelloni. After a lovely lunch washed down with a half of the local ale it is back to the A1, past industrial Britain, with all of it’s coal fired power stations onto the medieval walled city of York.   

I now get my first chance to put petrol into my little red chariot, the first problem is working out how to get the petrol latch open. The next is wondering how much i will be paying with unleaded at 114.9 if only this was Australian money and not pounds, thankfully it only needed 30 litres to top it up from 1/4 of a tank left so the wallet was only lighter 36 pound not to bad for the distance travelled, about 36 mpg by the trip computer.

quick price comparison
Big Mac 3.99, 1/2 pint 1.20-1.40, pack 25 of cigarettes 5.00, fish and chips in pub 7.95, in shop 3.65.

No comments:

Post a Comment