Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 26 – The Lake District

It is a drizzly day today which is unfortunate as I am heading out into the Lakes District or the Fells as they like to call the mountains here in Cumbria. It is not long after leaving that I am into the mountains and lakes, the clouds are hanging at about 700 feet and this is clouding the tops of the mountains. Even with the overcast day I can see the sense of tranquillity and beauty that draws people here in droves in the summer.

There are lots of very tiny roads and the trees form square tunnels which are kept meticulously manicured by the flow of tourist buses. The foliage is so thick that moss covers the stone walls which line the road.    

After leaving the Lake District I head to Kendal, this is a larger town than i was expecting, built on the banks of a fast flowing stream and has a lovely medieval church. 

Next it is off to try and find somewhere to sleep and I find myself on the outskirts of Lancaster at Morecambre, this is a beach side town with hotels lining the coast road and would be a wash with beach goers in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment