Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 21 – Onwards to Islay

Another cool rainy morning and I am on the road from Oban to Kennacraig to catch the ferry for Islay. The road twists it’s way through the highlands and down the coast, it is a pretty drive, lots of sheep, and I finally got to see some highland cattle, well 4, in a paddock, large paddock.

Upon arriving at Kennacraig I realise why my effort the night before could not find any accommodation, it is only a ferry terminal, they do however have free wifi so I am able to book some accommodation in Port Ellen before buying my ticket for the ferry (96 pounds return 5 day ticket). The rain eases briefly as we load onto the ferry and leave the terminal, it is a 2 1/2 hour trip which is smooth until we get into the larger channel and the wind gets up.

It is 4pm when I arrive, my hotel is at the other end of the island so it is a half hour drive, through peat cut fields to get to Port Ellen. Unfortunately all of the distillery tours are finished but it does give me a chance to see the Kildalton High Cross which is said to be the second oldest cross in Scotland, to get to it you have to travel down a 1 lane road for what seems forever but it was worth it as the cross is very impressive. 

I have booked in for 3 nights and this should allow me to visit quite a few of the 8 distilleries on the island, the weather is forecast for finer weather, hopefully this will prove true.

No comments:

Post a Comment