Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 5 – British Museum

Well today is the first grey rainy day of my trip, and there is a tube strike on so it is definitely a day for inside activity. Luckily the museum is only about a 30 min walk from my hotel, so after another hearty breakfast I donned my coat and headed off, taking the gamble that the rain would be arriving at 4pm as predicted by the weather channel, you would think that I should have learned not to trust the weather forecast by now for as I got 1 block from my hotel the rain came down. After dodging down pours in doorways I managed to find a place selling umbrellas, and as is always the case after buying my umbrella and using it for 10 minutes the rain ceased for the rest of the day.

I arrived at the Museum after my brisk walk and was greeted by its roman inspired facade, walking into the main lobby area it was easy to find a guide brochure outlining the 80+ rooms over 2 floors which easily take a full day to walk around, there really are to many amazing things to see in one visit. One of the really great things that the museum does is it has hands on areas in the different rooms, where a museum guide allows you to handle some of the objects in the museum and explains the item as you look at them. I got to handle many great items some of them were a flint prehistoric axe head and knife, Islamic tile and roman bronze figure. I have loaded some photos from my visit many.

After the museum I took a walk home, in the sunshine, via Piccadilly circus,  through the Chinese section of town. Lots of  people sitting around on the statue in the sun. It is interesting how different areas of London change in ethnicity from one section to the next it seems to be more pronounced then Melbourne.  

Today was also the 70th anniversary of the bombing of London and there was a service at St Pauls, they some how managed to get a spitfire into the court yard and had a Lancaster Bomber and Spitfire fly over the parade, it would have been a sight to behold but as the tube was closed I could not get there easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment